Re: GPL v3 Draft

Alexander Terekhov writes:

> On 17 Jan 2006 10:25:44 -0500, Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
> > Alexander Terekhov writes:
> >
> > > Yeah. So legal mandates like, for example,
> > >
> > > http://www.courts.state.va.us/text/scv/amendments/rule_71_75_SC.html
> > >
> > > ----
> > > When the communication is in writing, the disclaimer shall be in bold
> > > type face and uppercase letters in a font size that is at least as large
> > > as the largest text used
> > > ----
> >
> > You fail at reading comprehension.  Try reading the rest of rule 7.2.
>
> I didn't say that 7.2 applies to warranty disclaimers. But according to
> Diane Cabell (http://www.mama-tech.com/ I suppose)...
>
> http://www.boost.org/more/license_info.html#FAQ
>
> ----
> Why is the "disclaimer" paragraph of the license entirely in uppercase?
>
> Capitalization of these particular provisions is a US legal mandate for
> consumer protection. (Diane Cabell)
> ----
>
> I didn't bother to google it, knowing about something similar.
>
> Comprehendo now?

I understand that you are willing to and have posted totally
irrelevant regulations as support for claims that you provide no
direct or plausible indirect support for.

I understand that the page you quote there is not specific as to why
it is "a US legal mandate", and so it is consistent with Dr Moglen's
claim that no one seems to know why it is done that way.

The closest I can find is the UCC's requirement that warranty
disclaimers be conspicuous (UCC section 2-316) and that conspicuous
text includes a *heading* in capitals, larger font size, et cetera
(UCC section 1-201(10)).  The GPLv3 draft does provide the "NO
WARRANTY" heading in capitals.

Do *you* understand?

Michael Poole