Re: DFSG compilance of display-dhammapada

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:41:51AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 04:30:50PM +0100, Jakub Nadolny wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is a package called display-dhammapada which includes some text in
> > Polish language. This text is licensed as follows:
> >
> > "This publication is not protected by copyright. One can freely copy it
> > and use any of it's parts mentioning the source. Publishers ask only for
> > information about it." (sorry if my english is not clear enough)
> >
> > I know this publisher and I can ask them to change this license if it
> > is neccessary to do it. Should it be changed to be DFSG compilant?
> This phrase came up previously:
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/08/msg00156.html
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/03/msg00384.html (same package)
>
> I don't know what the last phrase is meant to mean "publishers ask
> only for information about it".

It means that if you copy or cite this publication, they ask you to send
them information about it.
I think that could be the problem, isn't it?

> I agree with MJR's assessment that it is probably intended to
> discriminate against publishers.
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/08/msg00157.html

I don't think so. Publishers may use it as they want.

> Poli also has a point; no permission to modify (except for the claim
> of no copyright):
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/08/msg00161.html

That's another problem, I guess.

> It would be good to contact the publisher, to ask for clarification.
> If it turns out that the license (or lack thereof) lacks freedoms
> required for inclusion into Debian, then you might discuss an
> alternate license with them (hopefully something which is already
> translated into English!).

Ok, I'll contact them. What would you suggest - GFDL? Creative Commons?