Re: DFSG compilance of display-dhammapada

Jakub Nadolny <jakub.nadolny@ite.pl> wrote:

> > I don't know what the last phrase is meant to mean "publishers ask
> > only for information about it".
>
> It means that if you copy or cite this publication, they ask you to send
> them information about it.
> I think that could be the problem, isn't it?

If they *ask* for you to send them information about it, that's
perfectly fine.

If they *require* you to send them information about it, yes, that would
be a problem. It depends on how you interpret "ask."

> > It would be good to contact the publisher, to ask for clarification.
> > If it turns out that the license (or lack thereof) lacks freedoms
> > required for inclusion into Debian, then you might discuss an
> > alternate license with them (hopefully something which is already
> > translated into English!).
>
> Ok, I'll contact them. What would you suggest - GFDL? Creative Commons?

Neither the GFDL nor any existing Creative Commons license is
DFSG-compliant.

Since the text says it is not copyrighted, and the only problem is that
this statement disclaiming copyright is unclear, you might suggest the
Creative Commons public domain dedication text:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

(Despite the URL, public domain status is, of course, not a license.)

regards,
Graue