Re: Clarification regarding PHP License and DFSG status

Charles Fry wrote:

> > then he's forced to lie if he just distributes the one package.
>
> That is not true. Read carefully the change in wording that they
> introduced: "This product includes PHP software, freely available from
> <http://www.php.net/software/>," which would be absolutely true, even in
> the distribution of a single package.

How does such a single package include the PHP software?

Or do you mean that "PHP software" should be understood as
"a piece of software in the PHP language"? Then I agree with
you, but it seems kind of confusing.

I also do not understand why the PHP group would want to say
that
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE PHP DEVELOPMENT TEAM ``AS IS''
since it's the authors of the package that provide the package.

Perhaps it would be better to have the disclaimer talk about
the authors instead of the PHP development team? Right now,
only the PHP team gets the benefit of the disclaimer, not the
authors of the software.

IN NO EVENT SHALL THE PHP DEVELOPMENT TEAM OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY ... DAMAGES

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself