Re: Clarification regarding PHP License and DFSG status

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:05:37 +0100 Francesco Poli wrote:

[...]
> I'll quote it entirely for future reference.

My comments follow.

> The PHP License, version 3.01
> Copyright (c) 1999 - 2005 The PHP Group. All rights reserved.
[...]
> 3. The name "PHP" must not be used to endorse or promote products
> derived from this software without prior written permission. For
> written permission, please contact group@php.net.

This is a sort of name-change clause (permitted by DFSG#4) *if* the
license is applied to PHP itself.
It's really inappropriate for anything that is *not* PHP itself
(especially when the copyright holder is not the PHP Group).

> 4. Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
> may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
> from group@php.net. You may indicate that your software works in
> conjunction with PHP by saying "Foo for PHP" instead of calling
> it "PHP Foo" or "phpfoo"

When the license is applied to PHP itself, this starts as a name-change
clause, but then goes beyond and forbids an entire class of names for
derived works (any name having "PHP" as a substring, minus some
exceptions).
This is overreaching, IMO, and makes the clause non-free.

This gets even worse when applied to anything that is not PHP itself.

[...]
> 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
> acknowledgment:
> "This product includes PHP software, freely available from
> <http://www.php.net/software/>".

This clause forces redistributors to lie, *if* the license is applied to
anything that is neither PHP itself, nor "PHP software" (actually
available from <http://www.php.net/software/>).
OK for PHP itself and some other software, non-free for anything else.

> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE PHP DEVELOPMENT TEAM ``AS IS''

Once again false for anything not provided by the PHP development team.

[...]

Ah, I forgot the last part: I'll quote it now...

| This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
| individuals on behalf of the PHP Group.

Again false for anything not made on behalf of the PHP Group.

| The PHP Group can be contacted via Email at group@php.net.
|
| For more information on the PHP Group and the PHP project,
| please see <http://www.php.net>.
|
| PHP includes the Zend Engine, freely available at
| <http://www.zend.com>.

This is irrelevant for anything that is not PHP, but it now does not
harm (thanks to the minor fix).

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4