Re: LGPL module linked with a GPL lib

I wrote:
> So yes, inquiring minds want to know.

And this inquiring mind is now satisfied as to what probably pays
RMS's rent lately -- the ~$268K Takeda Award he received in 2001.
(You couldn't keep a family in Cambridge for four years on that, but
RMS doesn't have that problem.)  Me, I'd be kind of ashamed to preach
the economic superiority of the free software system while living on
grant money and conference banquets; but YMMV.

Again, I don't really care how RMS makes his money; I do care, a
little, how Eben Moglen makes his, but only because he uses his status
as a law professor at a respected university to bolster claims I find
incredible.  Mostly I care about the freedom to pursue what is for me
both an intellectual interest and a trade, on terms which more or less
reflect an accurate perspective on the surrounding law and economics.
Misrepresentations and charlatanry draw my scrutiny, whether they come
from saints or sinners.

ObOnTopicForDebianLegal:  This thread was originally about GStreamer.
The FAQ at http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-legal.html
reflects the public posture of that project's principal contributors
(and principal corporate funder, Fluendo) on the matter, and claims to
be "certified by the FSF lawyer team and verified by FSF lawyer and
law professor Eben Moglen."  Whether or not it accurately reflects the
relevant law, I would expect it to form a pretty strong basis for
estopping the people who have published it from making conflicting
arguments in court.  IANAL, TINLA.

Cheers,
- Michael