Re: Does DFSG#2 apply to non-programs?

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:20:18 +0200 Florian Weimer wrote:

> Personally, I think that we can make this distinction, but actually,
> we shouldn't, at least for technical documentation which describes how
> a program works.  If we change the program, we sometimes need to
> change the documentation.  If it's in a closed format (even
> non-proprietary ones, like DVI), this task is unnecessarily
> complicated.

The same holds for images and other data.
Think about a videogame with 2D graphics that was prerendered from a 3D
models (wasn't this the issue that triggered the long thread of which
this subthread is a spinoff?).
I, as a Debian user, want to have the freedom to modify it as I see fit.
Including the freedom to modify sprites and backgrounds.
I want to be able to fork it, if I feel it's necessary to meet my needs.
If Debian does not distribute the preferred form for modification, I'm
in position of disadvantage with respect to the original author...

> Given its practical implications, I am really supprised
> that this aspect is still controversial.

So am I...

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4