Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 03:47:41PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:56:01PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Andreas Barth:
> >
> > > Actually, the DFSG says:

> > > Obviously e.g. fonts are no programms, even if they are in main.
>
> > It's clear from the context (and previous discussion) that this has to
> > be interpreted as "software".
>
> No, it isn't.  Considering we went through all the effort of a GR to amend
> the DFSG and this still says "program", not "software", I don't see how you
> can claim it *has* to be read as "software".  (And there are fewer instances
> of the word "software" in the DFSG after the revision than there were
> before, anyway...)

The DFSG was never amended. The text has not changed.

This is purely because I didn't want to lump two complex revisions
together, and it carries no implications about the intended
meaning.

The relevant change in 2004-03 was to eliminate all uses of the word
"software" from the SC (except as part of the compound noun "free
software"), on the basis that it had always meant "everything" but
some people had difficulty understanding this and we got into
pointless debates because of it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |