Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 04:19:02PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>* Steve McIntyre:
>
>>>The interpretation I outlined is certainly not new.  It reflects the
>>>current practice, and I think we're in a pretty good position as far
>>>as compliance is concerned.  Even the notorious GNU FDL issue is not a
>>>real problem here (beyond the invariant section business) -- the GNU
>>>FDL requires open formats.
>>
>> I'm arguing with your interpretation of "program" to mean anything you
>> want - in this case potentially any random string of bytes.
>
>Why do you think this would change anything?  Isn't this the
>assumption under which debian-legal operates in general?  With a few
>practical exceptions, of course (license texts, public key
>certificates, etc.), but the general rule seems to be followed.

What?

I'm astounded by your argument here. Go look in a dictionary,
_please_. "Program" does not mean what you think it means. Re-defining
a common word like this is not a good route for earning
credibility. If you think DFSG#2 should cover all
programs/software/images/works/whatever, then change it so that it
_does_ say that.

Google-bait:
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.