Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

* Steve McIntyre:

>>The interpretation I outlined is certainly not new.  It reflects the
>>current practice, and I think we're in a pretty good position as far
>>as compliance is concerned.  Even the notorious GNU FDL issue is not a
>>real problem here (beyond the invariant section business) -- the GNU
>>FDL requires open formats.
>
> I'm arguing with your interpretation of "program" to mean anything you
> want - in this case potentially any random string of bytes.

Why do you think this would change anything?  Isn't this the
assumption under which debian-legal operates in general?  With a few
practical exceptions, of course (license texts, public key
certificates, etc.), but the general rule seems to be followed.