Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On 6/7/05, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> The GPL deliberately places obstacles to code reuse: it disallows reuse by
> projects that don't release every bit of linked code (more or less) under
> a GPL-compatible license, in the hope of increasing code reuse in the long
> term.  I believe that to be a simple, obvious statement of fact, and not one
> that anyone should be offended by: the GPL restricts use of code, to use
> free software as an incentive for other authors to place their own works
> under GPL-compatible licenses.

The GPL's drafters profess to believe this statement about the GPL and
linked code; but it is not true under US law as I understand it, and
other debian-legal contributors with actual legal qualifications in
civil law countries have agreed as regards their jurisdictions.
IANAL, but I can back this assertion up with case law out the
yin-yang.  My essay on this topic is rather long, is still in draft,
and might find a more formal publication channel, so I'm disinclined
to post it to d-l at this time; but anyone who would like a copy for
private review need but ask, as long as they agree not to "publish"
it.

Cheers,
- Michael