Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On 6/3/05, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> You mean that the "problem" is that permissive licenses don't serve the
> goals of a copyleft?  They're not supposed to.  The goal (or at least
> one very common goal) of permissive licenses is to encourage free use
> of code, and it's understandable that people with this philosophy don't
> want to force people to include a useless license block, either.

These two statements are at odds with each other.  I think it's confusing
and misleading to claim otherwise.

Fundamentally, the goal of public domain is to allow arbtrary non-free
use of the material.  And the same basic goal holds for near public-
domain licenses.  This is why you see legal professionals in the field
of copyright warning people that public domain probably isn't what
they want.

Free use is also allowed.  But if that was the crucial goal, the GPL would
be quiet adequate.

--
Raul