Re: RES: Where to put Open Transport Tycoon (openttd)

On 5/19/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/19/05, Michael K. Edwards <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I suppose it's also true that they don't have a copyright on the
> > > functionality represented by this game, but functionality wasn't
> > > copyrightable in the first place.
> >
> > "Mise en scene", my friend, "mise en scene".
>
> We're not talking about changes to the Transport Tycoon Deluxe
> equivalent of MAP files.
>
> We're talking about something more like the Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc.
> v. Nintendo of Am., Inc. case.

So there are as wide a variety of games playable on the Transport
Tycoon Deluxe engine as on the Nintendo Entertainment System, are
there?  And you think the factual situation is parallel to this:  "The
Game Genie merely enhances the audiovisual displays (or underlying
data bytes) that originate in Nintendo game cartridges. The altered
displays do not incorporate a portion of a copyrighted work in some
form."

> We're not talking a sequel here, we're talking about ephemeral
> changes in appearance.

Rubbish.  Go read the website.

> OpenTTD is not distributing art which merges with the original
> copyrighted work.  Microstar was distributing arg with merged
> with the original copyrighted work.

Rubbish.  Micro Star was distributing user-created game "levels", and
the only theory on which they were derivative works was "mise en
scene" -- characters, objects, setting, etc. -- when played using Duke
Nukem 3-D.

> [Also, I continue to be annoyed by your personal attacks, but
> I refuse to believe that personal attacks have any redeeming
> value.]

I acknowledge that the level of acrimony in some of my messages (not
particularly in the one to which this is a response) has been on the
high side.  I will probably end up, in the long run, wishing that I
had kept my temper systematically under better rein.  But if you can't
see that your credibility is at risk here -- in a way that it is not
in the GPL debate alone -- after the comments that numerous third
parties have made along the way, then it would be a kindness on my
part to succeed in apprising you of that fact.

Cheers,
- Michael