Re: Need advice for dual licensing

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 15:25 -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> [NB: Please follow Debian list policy and do not Cc: people unless
> they explicitly request a Cc. The canonical method of requesting a Cc:
> is to set a Mail-Followup-To: header that includes your addres. Also,
> you'll have much better luck if you refrain from top posting.]

I'm very sorry, the top posting was not intentional. I will also try not
to Cc: to people who don't want an extra copy.

> On Fri, 13 May 2005, Svante Signell wrote:
> > I just wanted to know if dual licensing is possible.
>
> It is possible, but when we talk about dual licensing we typically
> mean that two licenses are applied to a work, and the user can (at the
> user's option) pick a specific license to use the work under.

OK, so this is the case e.g. with mozilla and openoffice?

> What you seemed to be asking for was two licenses for different
> (disjoint) sets of users, which isn't going to be DFSG Free unless
> both licenses are DFSG Free. [And possibly not even then... we'd have
> to look at it very closely.]

Is it possible to release the code as GPL and if necessary relicense at
a later stage? Do all contributors to the improved version have to agree
on this change of licence. What about copyright issues for contributed
code?

--
Svante Signell