Re: Need advice for dual licensing

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:36:53PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody got a good advice for how to dual license some of the software
> I've developed. I would like to use GPL for non-commercial use (e.g.
> private persons and universities) and a commercial license for
> companies.
>
> Please Cc: me since I'm not subscribed to this list.

Can I suggest something similar to the Aladdin model for Ghostscript -
release the current version as "paid for, for commercial use, supported
by us": after a year GPL it and put support into the community.  If your
code base is substantially similar from one release to the next - 1.)
Bugs will be fixed when noticed by the wider community on the GPL
version: if the bugs are still in your "Professional/Supported" version
they're fixed for free, effectively. 2.) Feature requests from the GPL'd
version can be rolled into your supported version. 3.) You get free
advertising for your pro version and kudos from the rest of the world
by releasing slightly older code under the GPL.

Be careful how you advertise/plug the paid for version: Aladdin fell out
with the FSF because the FSF thought that the free GPL'd version
advertised the commercial version too much.

Just a thought,

Andy