Re: RES: What makes software copyrightable anyway?

On 5/13/05, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 04:17:27PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > On 5/13/05, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:
> > > The work you are speaking of does not exist in our archives, as far as I can
> > > tell.  It can only be built on a user's machine.  The resulting work would
> > > not be distributable.

Actually, it would, because it's not a work based on the Program
(Quagga).  It's a collective work containing a work based on the
Program.  (see blenderized equine on d-l archives)

> > How do you account for it getting onto user machines?
>
> I'm done here.  You are obviously more interested in trolling or spreading
> FUD than having a conversation.

It's nice to hear someone else come to this conclusion.  Is this guy
still chair of the technical committee?  After his inane thinly veiled
threats in http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/04/msg00090.html ?
 In a way, I'm glad I didn't Google him before; I would have been
unable to take him seriously enough to research my rebuttals well had
I realized that he is the local Mouth of RMS.  :-)

(Note: in my limited experience, RMS himself is a far more coherent
and fair debater than his apparent proxies.)

Cheers,
- Michael