Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:
> >>Is Debian's trademark policy "freedom-restricting"? [...]
> > Yes. Why do you think it's under review? It's causing some
> > minor silly situations when it interacts with copyrights
> > of free software.
> I wasn't aware it was under review.

The SPI Debian trademark committee was announced in October 2003. I
am not sure of its current status.

The logo problem last appeared in SPI board meeting minutes in October 2004.
I believe Branden has asked for it to be discussed in February 2005.

> > You wrote this, but you claimed that it stops the default search
> > engine being changed away from my favourite invite spammers g**gl*
> > - is this a contradiction?
> No, at least not by my understanding of what makes code free (i.e. that
> it's under a Free licence).

How does your trademark licence restricting permitted modifications
(essentially making part of your code invariant) qualify as a "Free
licence"? Is it free only because we can change the name and discard
the trademark licence?