Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> writes:

> We're happy to say that Debian doesn't tend to ship software that
> sucks - but you want the freedom to do so, and let others do so. And I
> understand that. :-)

Here's an idea: a source package that builds either Thunderbird for
Debian or Lightningferret, a trademark-free version -- and defaults to
the latter, except on Debian autobuilders.  The real source to build
the Thunderbird for Debian version is there, and it's a trivial
switch.  But the work of producing a free-to-suck version is already
done.

For reasons I can't fully articulate, I don't think that's a good
idea: source packages should be the plain and simple source of the
binaries produced.  But I'm curious whether it would be accepted as
Free by debian-legal.

-Brian