Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:

> Exactly.
> DFSG #8 seems quite clear to me: we do *not* consider Free
> something that gives all the other important freedoms to Debian only,
> and not to downstream recipients as well.

There's some contention over this. Based on the discussion on
debian-private that led to the DFSG, I think 8 was effectively shorthand
for ensuring that every freedom enumerated in the DFSG was available to
any further recipients. Others disagree. I asked Bruce about this, but
never got a reply.

Personally, I have no objection to Debian being given freedoms that
other users don't, providing that everyone obtains rights that satisfy
the DFSG.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org