Re: Clarification regarding PHP License and DFSG status

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 03:02:29AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > frx@firenze.linux.it wrote:
> > >As a reminder, I see this clause as non-free because it starts as a
> > >name-change clause, but then goes beyond and forbids an entire class of
> > >names for derived works (any name having "PHP" as a substring, minus
> > >some exceptions).
> > >This is overreaching, IMO, and makes the clause non-free, even when
> > >applied to PHP itself.
> >
> > Exactly, which part of the DFSG you think would forbid this?
>
> The fact that it's a restriction on derived works (§3) that is not
> explicitly allowed by §4?
>
>   §3 [...] The license must allow modifications and derived works,
>   [...]
>
>   §4 [...] The license may require derived works to carry a different
>   name or version number from the original software. [...]

Marco's beliefs are well-known: a license can place any restrictions it wants,
as long as it allows modifications and derived works under some obscure
circumstances.  "You may only modify the software on Halloween while eating
a live bulldog" is free--hey, it allows modifications.

Sorry for the noise.  :)

--
Glenn Maynard