Re: Clarification regarding PHP License and DFSG status

> What I did is a review of the license.
> While doing that, I pointed out all the issues I could find, for
> completeness' sake.
> I found three sets of issues: the ones that come up when
>
> * the license is applied to PHP itself,
> * the license is applied to other software distributed by the PHP Group
> * the license is applied to other software that has nothing to do with
>   the PHP Group (apart from the license choice, of course)

Excelent. :-)

Because I am currently trying to work this licensing issue out with the
PHP Group, I will exclusively focus on issues related to them. I owe
Pierre a follow-up email explaining the official Debian position on the
PHP Group's use of the new PHP License.

More specifically, I would like a formal acceptance on the part of
Debian that this license will be applied equivilantly (however that is)
to both PHP and the PHP Group's software.

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This is a sort of name-change clause (permitted by DFSG#4) *if* the
> > > license is applied to PHP itself.
> > > It's really inappropriate for anything that is *not* PHP itself
> > > (especially when the copyright holder is not the PHP Group).
> >
> > The question here is whether or not it is appropriate for software
> > explicitely distributed by the PHP Group.
>
> I'm not particularly fond of clauses like the above quoted one, but it
> seems to me that it does not harm for PHP itself and (possibly) for
> other software distributed the PHP Group.
>
> I think it's inappropriate for anything else (but I'm repeating
> myself...).

Agreed. I just want to establish whether or not this clause will be
accepted in the same manner for the PHP Group as for PHP itself. I infer
from the above that this is indeed the case.

> > > When the license is applied to PHP itself, this starts as a
> > > name-change clause, but then goes beyond and forbids an entire class
> > > of names for derived works (any name having "PHP" as a substring,
> > > minus some exceptions).
> > > This is overreaching, IMO, and makes the clause non-free.
> > >
> > > This gets even worse when applied to anything that is not PHP
> > > itself.
> >
> > Again, what about for software explicitely distributed by the PHP
> > Group?
>
> As I said, I think the clause is non-free even for PHP itself.

If this clause is non-free even for PHP itself, then Debian should take
a stand on it. If it is classified as non-free for PHP then it should
admitedly be classified as non-free for the PHP Group. But I maintain
that it can be applied in the same way by both groups.

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This clause forces redistributors to lie, *if* the license is
> > > applied to anything that is neither PHP itself, nor "PHP software"
> > > (actually available from <http://www.php.net/software/>).
> > > OK for PHP itself and some other software, non-free for anything
> > > else.
> >
> > Again, missing the point.
> >
> > These guys are trying to come up with a licence that is fit both for
> > distributing PHP and PHP Group software (available at the above URL).
> >
> > The question for Debian is whether or not this licence is acceptable
> > for the large class of Pear/Pecl modules available from php.net (from
> > the PHP Group).
>
> The answer is that *this clause* is OK for PHP itself and other software
> available from <http://www.php.net/software/> (as long as it qualifies
> as "PHP software").
> But again, I'm repeating myself: I may seem to be missing the point, but
> you (almost) seem to have missed my answers...  :(

And I, in turn, feel that you are missing my answers.

Of course this is bad for anyone besides the PHP Group. I am simply
trying to establish the equivilant usage of the PHP Licence within
Debian by both PHP and PHP Group software.

> > > Once again false for anything not provided by the PHP development
> > > team.
> >
> > Sure, but true for stuff that is (and one could argue that anything
> > from the PHP Group is).
>
> So, you answered yourself: this disclaimer is not an issue *when*
> applied to software provided by the PHP Group.

All right, then. :-)

> > > Ah, I forgot the last part: I'll quote it now...

> > > Again false for anything not made on behalf of the PHP Group.
> >
> > All right, so per your analysis, this licence seems perfectly fit for
> > software distributed by the PHP Group, which is the current matter at
> > hand.
>
> No, it does not.
> I think the PHP License (version 3.01) is non-free, even when applied to
> PHP itself (and other software provided by the PHP Group).

That may be true, but unless Debian is willing to take a stance against
PHP itself, I don't think it can take one against the PHP Group's
software.

> To summarize:
>
>  - when the license is applied to PHP itself (or to other software
>    provided by the PHP Group), the only problematic clause is #4.

Agreed. Will this issue be brought before PHP, or again accepted as has
previously been the case?

>  - when the license is applied to anything else, a bunch of additional
>    issues come up

Exactly.

> P.S.: Please do not reply to me and Cc: the list, as I didn't asked it.
> Simply reply to the list only: I would rather avoid receiving replies
> *twice*. Thanks.

Sorry. And please CC me on all replies, as I'm not on the list, and
don't think to check this thread as often as I should.

Thanks for taking them time to analyze and respond to this issue.

Charles

--
Toughest
Whiskers