Re: Licenses for DebConf6

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:26:58 +1000 Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 07:49:36PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > FYI, a possible response might be: "we care about freeness, but we
> > pick our battle, and our battle is Debian main".  I care about
> > starving children, but I don't donate the majority of every check to
> > feed them: there are lots of good causes, and the fact that
> > everybody has to pick and choose their causes doesn't mean people
> > "don't care enough".  (That said, I don't agree with that response:
> > it should be no big deal for people to freely license their papers,
> > so they can be packaged later in Debian.  This isn't a big,
> > difficult fight.)
>
> Why fight at all? If having a free license is so obviously correct,
> why force people to do it? If some people are uncomfortable with it,
> why fight that?

I wish it were obvious to everyone, but apparently it's not.
Otherwise there would not be so much non-free documentation around and
we would not have to deal with its (wrong) presence in Debian main...

Try to think what it would mean to Debian, if your above-quoted "don't
fight" philosophy were applied to the Debian distribution. There would
be no separate sections of the archive (main, contrib, and non-free
would be all merged in one melting pot of works): there are already many
GNU/Linux distros that do so... Fortunately Debian is different.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4