Re: Logo rip-off

Scripsit Måns Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

>> There are millions of *possible* spiral shapes that one could
>> draw. Elektrostore chose the *exact same* spiral shape as the Debian
>> swirl, and positioned the stock brush at the *exact same* point on the
>> spiral. *That* is not just a default template.

> How did you measure the shape?

I opened both images in the Gimp, and then scaled and rotated the
Debian swirl, finding a perfect match.

See link referenced earlier in this tread.

> How do you know that both logos were not created using default
> settings?

Because I don't believe the program comes with *any* "default
settings" for an operation so specific as applying a brush stroke to a
spiral shape. I can see no reason why an application developer would
even think of packaging such an arcane operation up as something that
can conceivable have default settings, and I have seen no evidence
that such an operation, with default settings, exist in any graphics
composition programs.

You, on the other hand, seem to claim that there is a prepackaged
"apply to a spiral shape" command in the program which comes with some
default settings that happen to recreate the Debian swirl. Which
possible use do you think such an extremely specific tool would have
_except for_ "creating logos for free operationg systems and Swedish
whiteware merchants"?

--
Henning Makholm                     "The practical reason for continuing our
                                  system is the same as the practical reason