Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 07:48:12PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> > Sorry, this sentence registers as complete nonsense to me.  If you're
> > going to claim that requiring certain things of *authors* before their
> > code can be included in Debian is a "fee", how is this particular "fee"
> > different from the "fee" of publishing source code?
>
> If someone is going to file a lawsuit, someone has to pay for it. If the
> two sides live in different places, one of them has to travel no matter
> what, and thus pay for that expense. If we say that choice of venue clauses
> aren't Free, then the person bringing the suit will very likely have to
> travel and pay the fee (or that's my interpretation of Humberto and Michael
> Poole's responses). If not, then the person defending the suit will have to
> pay the fee. Either way, there is a cost involved. Why are we choosing
> sides if such a cost can't be avoided?

Especially as the CDDL mentions that the loosing side has to pay the expenses.

This leaves only the need to advance the money, and the problem with a given
court having the risk of not being fair or just or whatever the name is, and
in some way favour the author.

Friendly,

Sven Luther