Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:44:56PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Henning Makholm writes:
> > A bicycle trip to my local courthouse: DKK 2, including write-offs on the
> > bicycle. A trip to some court in America: Tens of thousands of DKKs.
>
> If I were to sue you for infringing the copyright on my GPL software I
> would file in US district court.

Assuming it's a nuisance lawsuit, I would ignore it (or file a written
statement to this effect), and let the judgement lapse (assuming the
court itself didn't just acknowledge my point and throw it out), since
I have no intention to enter US territory at any point. When you filed
in a UK court to attempt to enforce the US judgement, I would raise
the defence that the claim was nonsense.

If you bring choice-of-venue into the picture, it becomes rather more
murky.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |