Re: RFS: tvbrowser -- TV-Browser is a java-based TV guide

On 8/5/05, Bastian Venthur <expires-2006@venthur.de> wrote:

> I package the client -- I did not even note, that upstream also provides a
> server, but as far as I (now) understand, the server is a tool to provide
> the data, so users of tvbrowser can use them. If this is correct, I provide
> only the server.

As already mentioned, the data which is required for the program to
serve its purpose is non-free:

---
All tv data provided by TV-Browser are protected by copyright laws and
may only be used within TV-Browser. Every other manner of using,
reproducing or redistributing of the tv data is illegal and my be
prosecuted on civil or criminal law. On downloading the tv data you
declare your agreement to these terms. If you have any questions
concerning these terms please contact martin@tvbrowser.org
---

So even if you managed to build it entirely with free tools at some
later date, this issue alone would relegate it to contrib until
suitably free data is available - or at least, that's been the current
practice for e.g. emulators such as zsnes which require non-free roms.

But having had a quick peek inside the orig.tar.gz, it looks like
there's stuff in there that renders it completely undistributable,
even from non-free. Everything under win/include/ contains:

* Copyright 1997-1999 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
 * 901 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, California, 94303, U.S.A.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * This software is the confidential and proprietary information
 * of Sun Microsystems, Inc. ("Confidential Information").  You
 * shall not disclose such Confidential Information and shall use
 * it only in accordance with the terms of the license agreement
 * you entered into with Sun.

And all instances of Search16.gif, About16.gif, WebComponent16.gif,
Edit16.gif, Information24.gif, TipOfTheDay24.gif, Host16.gif,
Refresh16.gif, Help16.gif, Find16.gif, Stop24.gif, listview24.gif,
Import24.gif, Stop16.gif, Refresh24.gif, Properties16.gif, New16.gif,
Export16.gif, listview16.gif, Bookmarks24.gif, New24.gif,
Import16.gif, PrintPreview16.gif, details16.gif, Back24.gif,
Print16.gif, Bookmarks16.gif, Forward24.gif, PageSetup16.gif,
Open16.gif, Down24.gif, Delete16.gif, Down16.gif, down16.gif,
Preferences24.gif, Print24.gif, Up24.gif, Delete24.gif, Up16.gif,
up16.gif, Preferences16.gif, Save16.gif, Jar16.gif, Information16.gif,
Find24.gif, TipOfTheDay16.gif and Edit24.gif contain the string
"Copyright 2000 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

CCed the author to make him aware of the situation. Any further
discussion with regards to the licensing should probably take place on
-legal rather than -mentors.

Cheers,

--
Andrew Saunders