Re: removing the debian-legal website stuff?

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 11:12:40AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> search would be a pain. The issues don't divide neatly to me.

Yes, it's not for the most part a question of the manner and style of
the discussion rather than the topic itself.

> There's some personal development required by some readers
> too, IMO.  For example, why do you junk the whole mailbox
> and not just the flamey threads?  I've switched to using the

It's more normal for me to do as you suggest or to leave the mailbox and
mainly due to feeling that I'm only reading a very small proportion of
the traffic (often after letting the mailbox build up for a while)
together with many of the other discussions being old and mostly
settled.

There's also the fact that if your fingers are hovering over the delete
thread keys it's much more of a default action than it would otherwise
be.  A thread of moderate interest that on another list might be read
because that's what's happening to most of the list might go unread for
just the same reason.  If that happens often enough it can be the entire
mailbox that is ignored.

It's essentially a case of the problematic threads drowning out the rest
of the list one way or another - either I will actively decide that the
list isn't worth reading at a given time or the fact that I'm reading
the list on the basis that I'm going to ignore much of what's there
makes me do just that.

> Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> wrote:

> > I can't actually think of a way to do this off the top of my head (I'd
> > say that normally people don't actively try to start these large
> > discussions) and it would require enforcement by the active members of
> > the list.

> How do you enforce this, though? We don't have a tradition of
> strong moderation here and a lot of posters don't even bother
> to follow the debian lists code of conduct (link below), which
> I think would make a big improvement here. The few attempts at
> pointing out futility haven't had much effect yet, IMO.

Yes, it would be very tricky to achieve - there's not a situation like
we have with say -release where there are some people who are definitely
in a position of authority.