Re: RES: What makes software copyrightable anyway?

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 05:18:19PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On 5/19/05, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:
> > That bit would only be relevant if Debian was doing the things that got
> > Napster in trouble.  We aren't.
>
> Or if we're doing similar things.
>
> Such as: making available copyrighted works which we do not have
> the right to distribute.
>
> Though, once again: if nobody takes us to court about this we'll
> not have to face legal liability for it.  [But we will be violating the
> DFSG.]

And once again, you're the only one who thinks we're doing this.  The rest of
us, as far as I can tell, think that giving a user a script that makes it
easier to compile a certain binary does not equate to distribution of the
same binary.

If it was, then the upstream would be as guilty as we are, since he
presumably includes a configre script with --with-ssl as one of its options.

--Adam