Re: Contract and Tort Law and the GPL

On 12/05/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, there is the other option:  Tort Law.

Not in some jurisdiction (such as the French and Belgian one). The GPL
is a valid contract, and to sue under tort law is very difficult when
there is some contract between the parties. It has to be shown that
none of the damages that have arisen are in some way related to the
contract. Contract law takes precedence over tort law (because tort
law is a statute, and one that can be deviated from by contract).

> (At least, in the U.S. -- I don't know about other countries.)

Don't know about the US, but certainly not for every country.

Kind regards
Batist