Re: GPL and linking (was: Urgently need GPL compatible libsnmp5-dev replacement :-()

On 5/11/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/11/05, Michael K. Edwards <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The drafter of this offer of contract has shouted from the rooftops
> > that he has made no attempt to conform it with the applicable law.
>
> You make it sound like RMS is attempting civil disobedience.

Nope, just extra-legal social engineering.  As he is not an attorney
at law, that may even be admirable.

> As I understand it, he's attempting to work completely within
> the law with the GPL, and has never stated otherwise.
>
> If you disagree, you're welcome to cite proof that I'm wrong.

The applicable law is contract law.  RMS, Eben Moglen, and anyone else
with a hand in the crafting of the FSF FAQ has shouted from the
Ethernet jacks, at least, that no attempt has been made to conform the
GPL with contract law.  QED.

Cheers,
- Michael