Re: cl-typesetting license

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
> >>  * 5. Applications using cl-typesetting like Web servers, Web applications
> >>  *    native applications, and other software applications must insert
> >>  *    the following acknowledgment on the same page/window than the interface
> >>  *    items used to generate documents or view generated documents with
> >>  *    cl-typesetting: "Document(s) generated with cl-typesetting"
> I think this is non-free; it is a functional restriction.
> It smells slightly like the PHPnuke thing.

At first glance, it looks like a (GPL-incompatble) extremely
obnoxious advertising clause, but then it is actually applied
to things using the output of the library. It's similar
to software saying "any output of this library must be a
file complying with the FOO standard" which was considered
non-free in http://bugs.debian.org/181969 and discussed in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/01/

I think this attempts to contaminate other software.

--
MJR/slef