Re: Bittorrent licensing, take 2 [MPL and Jabber inside]

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le mercredi 30 mars 2005 =E0 22:42 +0000, MJ Ray a =E9crit :
> > Can you give a reference for the discussion, please? [...]
> Indeed, but I couldn't find any references telling the JOSL is non-free.
> It seems it was uploaded without checking the license... [...]

That seems to happen sometimes. Don't assume it means more
than the maintainer thought it follows DFSG.  I'm not even
sure whether a licence change needed an ftpmaster to review
it, back in 2001. It doesn't seem to in 2005, according to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/02/msg00184.html

I've asked the maintainer whether the copyright file
could be updated to GPL anyway, or whether the new JOSL was
examined. Maybe it happened somewhere else.

> > Yes. We apologise and stop distributing things under licences
> > with which the archive network can't comply, even if it's
> > not a DFSG problem.
>
> That means stopping to distribute mozilla? That's a great pain. [...]

Yes, that would suck. The fault would be a mix of MPL's drafters
including conditions that they could have known debian didn't
support yet and our confusion about the mozilla licence soup.

I had hoped that a Moz Found rep would tell us we've missed some
obvious reason this doesn't hurt debian, but not yet. It might
be overload, as basic questions from 11 Feb are unanswered yet:
can Gerv (or someone else, hey ho) tell us the opinions of the
wider Mozilla team about debian's package names, please? When
can we expect iceweasel/FireWeb (or whatever white label browser)
will be buildable from upstream sources?

> > I can't think of another way, apart from
> > redesigning the mirror software.
> Just when we are considering to drop some architectures to spare some
> mirror space?

Changing software to support this would probably increase
mirror space requirements and might make mirroring complicated.

I don't know much about any software changes for the Vancouver
plan, if that's what you meant.

--
MJR/slef