Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Walter Landry writes:

> When Debian puts Eclipse into main, Debian is distributing Eclipse to
> be used with Kaffe.  When it is in contrib, Debian is distributing
> Eclipse to be used by something outside of main.

To the extent the first part is true, the second part is false.  Also
to the extent the first part is true, it is irrelevant to the GPL.

To use an example that should be clearer: According to your argument,
when Debian puts <GPL-incompatible package X> into main, Debian is
distributing <package X> to be used with Linux.  If that is true, when
<package X> is in contrib, Debian is still distributing <package X> to
be used with Linux.  That OS Y provides a Linux personality is
irrelevant.

Debian also distributes GPL-incompatible documentation in PDF format.
To the best of my knowledge, the only packages in main that can
display PDFs are licensed under the GPL.  Why does this not create the
same kind of "whole work" capture effect?  PDF may not have the
language flexibility of Java, but it has programmable features.

Michael Poole