Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> >Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> There is an aggregate work which is also being distributed which includes
> >> both Kaffe and Eclipse, but the GPL allows that.
> >
> >They are not an aggregate work, they are a whole work.
>
> You and Brian keep on claiming that. Do you actually have anything
> solid on which to base this assertion?

The GPL mentions whole works, and I have given my criteria of a whole
work: Requires to run.  The Debian Depends: relationship is also
useful and mostly equivalent.  I have not seen any other criteria
which matches what the GPL actually says.  As I mentioned before, I am
open to discussion on what the criteria should be, but it does have to
match what the GPL says.

> The packages might ship on the
> same CD, but that's as far as the link goes. People are reasily
> capable of installing one without the other:
>
>  * Kaffe will happily install without Eclipse
>  * Eclipse will happily install, depending on any Java 2 runtime

But there is only one Java 2 runtime in main that will work.  You seem
to have missed it the three other times I mentioned it, but this
discussion is about whether Eclipse goes in main, not whether it is
distributable at all.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu