Re: GPL - "specifying" the preferred form for modification

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 03:22:53PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > Note, also, that the GPL says "preferred form for modification", not
> > "the form for modification preferred by the original author".
> Indeed.  Specifying the form the original author preferred should not act as a
> restriction, then, right?

It depends on how it's written, and what the intent is.

"This work is under the GPL, with the preferred form for modification being
Pascal." seems to indicate confusion on the part of the author.  I don't
know if it's his intent to apply a limit beyond the GPL, or if he believes
the GPL lets him choose a specific source format, or if he's confused in
some other way.

"This work is under the GPL.  An example of a form of modification I consider
source is Pascal" (or TeX or PNG) seems fine--it just gives an idea of the
author's intent.

--
Glenn Maynard