Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 04:15:58PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> The interpreted program interacts (I don't think "communicate" is the
> appropriate word) with the virtual machine (in a loose sense of the
> word) presented by the interpreter.  It does not communicate with the
> actual implementation.  A regular program interacts with the
> registers, memory and so on found in the machine, not with the
> individual gates, electrons and whatnot that make up the actual
> hardware.

It's kind of interesting to consider what you might mean by "It does
not communicate with the actual implementation".

One way of looking at this is that programs never communicate -- they
just control various pieces of hardware which do the actual communication
with each other.

Another way of looking at this is that the interpreted program and the
interpreter do so much more than communicate, that there ought to be
some better word to describe what's happening.

There might be other ways of looking at this -- I don't really know what
your concept is.

> > I'd say it this way: Interpreters generally do not communicate with
> > interpreted programs in a fashion which matters for the GPL license on
> > the interpreter.
>
> Say it any way you prefer, as long as we can agree on the
> consequences.

Good enough.

--
Raul