Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:55:13PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > See above. This is really getting quite silly. We have strong reason to
> > believe that the Kaffe folks *do not* interpret the GPL as contaminating
> > things which are run within Kaffe (with the possible exception of things
> > that use JNI calls to accomplish things which are not possible in other
> > JVMs, if any such exist).
>
> Actually, the problem is that we don't.  For some of the authors, we
> have that information, but far from all of them.

Yes, actually, we do - but perhaps not in the way you're thinking.

*) The FAQ, which one would hope they have all read since it's still up,
   and they're still authoring for it, basically says this.

*) The only participant to date, while only a single author, certainly
   strongly affirms it.

*) Nobody has produced any statement from the contrary from any of them.

Given that #3 implies that the worst case we know of is 'neutral', and
we have one strong indication that they're OK with it and one flat-out
statement that they are by someone involved, I fail to see why we should
believe that this is not their intent until someone can document otherwise
in some suitable fashion.

I agree it would be *nice* of them to make it a moot point by updating
their licensing, but given that it can be a hassle, and the only one
talking considers it a no-op, I can see why they haven't bothered. I do
wish they'd reconsider this position, just to make everyone's life easier
in the long run.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :