Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Brian Thomas Sniffen writes:

> Fortunately, the sentence beginning "A program using..." is not
> relevant to my argument.  I'm not talking about derivative works.  I'm
> talking about an entire copy of Kaffe.  Debian contains a copy of
> Kaffe.  So any parts of Debian that aren't merely aggregated with
> Kaffe need to be distributed under the terms of the GPL.  Read GPL 2,
> particularly 2b.

You have not yet provided any good reason for us to believe that the
Eclipse and Kaffe packages have some relationship beyond mere
aggregation, especially if neither is a derivative work of the other.

It has been explained repeatedly in this thread why GPL 2b from Kaffe
does not apply to Eclipse (either considered as upstream software or
as packages).  GPL 2b can only apply to Eclipse if Eclipse is a
derivative of some GPLed work, yet you claim your argument is not
about derivative works.

Your interpretation would require that almost all packages in main be
GPL-compatible due to the kernel being GPLed (among other undesirable
results).

Michael Poole