Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:11:22PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > Combining X+Y in the way that you have described is anything but
> > mechanical: it is a task which typically takes a skilled programmer a
> > great amount of time and thought.  Different programmers might do it
> > in different ways.  I'm not referring here to the work done by ld, but
> > to the process of building a new program which has libfoo as a
> > component.
> >
> > Additionally, the program ultimately delivered to the user isn't X
> > with some minor bits of Y.  It contains big chunks of Y -- one per
> > function used, at least -- directly copied.  Just being in a different
> > memory space isn't enough to change the relationship between the
> > creative parts of the works.  The program vim encompasses a copy of
> > libc.
>
> Wrong.  A dynamically linked program in ELF format (the most common on
> Linux systems) contains a list of undefined symbols, and a list of
> sonames to search for those symbols.  I have a hard time seeing how
> this would make a program derived from the library.  If multiple
> independent implementations of the library exist, which would the
> program be derived from?

You've got the causality backwards here. The program is linked to the
libraries because it is a derivative of the libraries. Not the other
way around.

Derivation is something that happens when you *write* the program. Not
when you build it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |