Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:21:51PM -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Måns Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> writes:
>
> > The program vim contains a list of function names, all of which are
> > found in the ISO C standard, or in one of POSIX, SuS etc.  It also
> > mentions a soname similar to libc.so.6.  Please explain how that can
> > form a copy of libc.
>
> That doesn't.  The actual copy of libc there on disk and loaded into
> memory does.  The fact that the collection of programs {vim, emacs,
> tcsh} has had the common factor libc compressed out has nothing to do
> with it.

You mean libc.so.12, as found on my Nienna system?

(Okay, so I haven't got all the build dependancies for vim completed yet,
but somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion that GNU libc will, oddly enough,
utterly fail to appear anywhere when I get that far; certainly it doesn't
on nvi...)

> > In the case of Java, the binding is even looser.  A class might
> > contain references to other classes which the JVM is free to look for
> > anywhere it pleases.  AFAIK, Eclipse uses only the standard Java API
> > as published by Sun, and will run equally well with any implementation
> > of said interface.
>
> Great -- which implementation does Debian ship it with?  That's all
> that really matters.

Excellent question. See above (for some value of 'ship' and 'Debian'
which is not yet official, but certainly aims to be when complete).
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :