Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:42:05 -0800, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 08:44:00PM +0100, Claus Färber wrote:

> > I know of other precedents that say otherwise. E.g. automobile modders
> > in Europe have to remove the original trademarks.
>
> That is by far the most bizarre trademark restriction I've ever heard of,
> and not at all in keeping with my understanding of US trademark law.  For
> European trademark law, though, I would have to take your word for it.

Why? If, for example, RUF<http://www.ruf-automobile.de>  takes a
Porsche, re-bores the engine, fits different turbos, changes the
brakes and suspension, fits different cabin fittings &c, how can they
then reasonably say that the vehicle *is* a Porsche? The vehicle *was*
a Porsche, and there still is a lot of Porsche components in that
vehicle, but the totality of the vehicle now encompasses something far
greater than a Porsche.

Daniel.