Re: prozilla: Nonfree

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 06:37:55PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:03:19PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Please use X-Debbugs-CC to Cc bug reports.  See
> > http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:44:13AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > ftpparse.c heading:
> > >
> > > 	Commercial use is fine, if you let me know what programs
> > > 	you're using this in.
> > >
> > > Which I believes fails the desert-island test?  Legal, can you
> > > confirm?
> >
> > No.  Why would "commercial use" matter?  Anything licensed under the GPL
> > doesn't allow "commercial use" at all.
>
> <raises eyebrow> How did you come to that conclusion?  I know no shortage of
> people who are using GPL'd software for commercial purposes, and no sane GPL
> licence holder has ever challenged that use as far as I know.

I'm assuming since it's in from a source file, it means the source
cannot be used a "commercial" product.  Why would end-user use have
anything to do with it?

> Of greater worry, anyway, is that if the section quoted above is the
> entirety of the licence for that source file, we're stuffed, because it
> doesn't provide any of the usual freedoms we need.

It's not a license at all.  It sounds like DJB intends for it to be
free but it certainly could use clarification.  A quick google search
shows that it's used in a lot of free software already.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.