Re: prozilla: Nonfree

severity 290242 serious
retitle 290242 Prozilla is non-free: requires notification for commercial use
thanks

Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Package: prozilla
> Version: 1:1.3.6-11
> Severity: normal
>
> ftpparse.c heading:
>
> 	Commercial use is fine, if you let me know what programs
> 	you're using this in.
>
> Which I believes fails the desert-island test?  Legal, can you
> confirm?

Confirmed; requirements to notify the author are non-free.

However, non-binding requests to notify the author are fine, and
copyright holders who put such requirements in their licenses are often
amenable to changing those requirements into non-binding requests
separate from the license.  I suggest contacting the upstream developer
and requesting such a change.

When doing so, I suggest *not* going into extensive detail on Debian's
legal procedures and the "Desert Island Test"; immediate discussion of
legalities and tests tends to put most people off.  Instead, I suggest
discussing some of the consequences of having such a term in the
license: inconvenience, privacy issues, and the consideration of what
would happen if any significant number of Debian's ten-thousand packages
had such conditions.  Other debian-legal denizens may be able to offer
advice on good ways to approach the upstream developer.

- Josh Triplett