Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

"Michael K. Edwards" <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

> I am in sympathy with the Mozilla Foundation's wish to exercise
> quality control and to stay on the good side of contributors.  I'd
> still like to see guidance for maintainers that says that bugs filed
> by the upstream don't get downrated.  But in my view (IANADD either),
> attempts in contract language to interfere unreasonably with this
> liberty to use trademarks factually would violate the DFSG.

The DFSG has a specific permission for authors to require name
changes.  That's all Mozilla is doing here: requiring a change of name
for their software.

I would like to see the DFSG changed to remove that clause, but I
doubt that will happen soon.

-Brian