Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
>>I consider that to be a fee consistent with the expansion of Free Software.
>>In order to distribute modified binaries, I have to licence my source to the
>>recipient as well.  That has clear freedom-enhancing properties (Now With
>>Freesol, for added Freeness!)  The QPL says I must give a carte-blanche
>>licence to the initial developer of the work I modify.  I don't see how that
>>is enhancing Free Software.
>
> The reason I feel this makes approximately no real difference is the
> following:
>
> 1) We (that is, Debian) generally assume that copyleft licenses
> strengthen free software more than BSD style licenses.
>
> 2) In the case of a BSD-style license with a QPL-style forced
> distribution upstream clause, there would be no need for a QPL-style
> permissions grant. Upstream could subsume it into their closed product
> anyway.
>
> 3) The QPL is closer to a copyleft than a BSD license. In most cases it
> safeguards the availability of source.
>
> I would argue that there are no cases in which the QPL is "worse" than a
> BSD-style license that required copies to be given to the upstream
> author, and in most cases it's "better". As a result, I think the
> argument collapses to the forced distribution clause rather than the
> permissions grant clause.

I would agree entirely with that assessment.  I personally only have a
problem with the forced distribution clause, and not the all-permissive
license to the original developer.  I think the requirement for an
all-permissive license is obnoxious, but still Free.

- Josh Triplett