Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 02:02:03AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> You brought up promises as fees, not me.  The fees compelled by the
> QPL are in the form of licenses to the initial author and distribution
> to him, not promises to obey the license.

Actually it was MJ Ray who applied the promisary definition to the idea of a
fee, and I was trying to see whether or not that definition really seems to
hold with our interpretation of the freeness. As it is, I see that definition
as conflicting with any sort of non-public domain software because it implies
some sort of behavioral constraints upon the lessor (which constitute a
promise). What then defines the term fee such that the GPL does not demand one
where the QPL does?

> There is a promise -- a contract -- which comes into existence when I
> distribute modifications.  I promise to hold copies of those forever
> in order to supply the initial author with copies on request.

So is the timeframe (i.e. forever) important?

 - David Nusinow