Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 03:28:04PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> >> A fee is a thing of value which must be given in payment for some
> >> return.  That is, I must incur a cost in paying it, and the recipient
> >> should benefit from it.
> >
> >> For example, the QPL's demand for a permissive license for the initial
> >> author is a fee.  The license has value, and I may not make
> >> modifications without granting it.  I incur a cost, loss of control.
> >> The recipient benefits greatly.
> >
> >> The GPL's requirement that I distribute source with any binaries I
> >> distribute is not a fee.  My distribution of source with binaries has
> >> negligible cost to me, so is not a fee.
> >
> > By this reasoning, if the QPL said you were allowed to charge the author
> > for the cost of sending him the source, it would be free because the
> > cost to you is nominally the same as the cost in the GPL.  I don't
> > believe this is true.
>
> No, because the license to those sources and the act of disclosure are
> themselves of cost to me and benefit to him.

But the cost of disclosure of the sources to downstream recipients is also a
fee imposed by the upstream author simply by choosing the GPL or QPL. Just
because you already have a distribution channel set up with downstream does not
mean there is no fee incurred from distributing and disclosing the source and
your modifications to them.

 - David Nusinow