Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:34:08PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> writes:
> > But the cost of disclosure of the sources to downstream recipients is also a
> > fee imposed by the upstream author simply by choosing the GPL or
> > QPL.
> That only comes automatically with the QPL; with the GPL, I can work
> in a small group with no risk that it will be spread more widely.

Ok, that's the best clarification of this part of the issue I've seen. 100%
agreement. This runs up against DFSG 6 (private study as field of endeavor)
rather than 1 though.

> > Just because you already have a distribution channel set up with
> > downstream does not mean there is no fee incurred from distributing
> > and disclosing the source and your modifications to them.
> Yes.  That's an imposition we allow because the only purpose is to
> ensure that the recipient has as much freedom as the donor.  The donor
> chooses everything else about that interaction.

This seems like the justification falls under DFSG 7 rather than 1 then. I
can't personally justify calling the QPL non-free by claiming that it imposes a
fee upon downstream recipients, since the term fee is rather nebulous.

 - David Nusinow