Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

Branden Robinson writes:
>On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:01:22PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>
>> I'm certainly not clear that the new SC gives any leeway to use tests
>> that don't spring directly from the DFSG.
>
>Put that way, it doesn't give us any leeway to use "tests" at all.
>
>In any event, I laid out my approach to upholding the Social Contract in
>this respect a while back[1].
>
>Feel free to take it apart now, since you didn't at the time.

OK, I'll take a crack at it. If you're going to treat debian-legal
discussions as "case law", where's the delegation by the rest of
Debian to give you the rights to make decisions and set precedent?
That's a big problem that's been coming up more and more often in
recent licensing discussions. The DDs have all agreed to the DFSG, but
not necessarily to whatever interpretations the debian-legal debaters
can come to based on the DFSG. And some of the interpretations have
been getting pretty damn loose lately...

"Every time you use Tcl, God kills a kitten." -- Malcolm Ray