Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:01:22PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >Where does the Social Contract bind us to using no tool other than the DFSG
> >to determine whether a work we distribute as part of our system is free?
> >
> >Interestingly, the new version of the Social Contract[1] seems to give us
> >less latitude than the original version[2] in using anything adjunct to the
> >DFSG for freeness determinations.
>
> Given that the changes to the SC were merely editorial (as stated in the
> proposal that was seconded by you), any restriction present in the new
> SC that isn't there in the old one is down to you misreading the old
> one.

Not necessrily.  It could be the case that the guidelines are guidelines in
both cases, that I was right about the meaning of the old SC, and that I am
simply misreading the *new* one.

> I'm certainly not clear that the new SC gives any leeway to use tests
> that don't spring directly from the DFSG.

Put that way, it doesn't give us any leeway to use "tests" at all.

In any event, I laid out my approach to upholding the Social Contract in
this respect a while back[1].

Feel free to take it apart now, since you didn't at the time.

[1] Message-ID: <20030305165259.GP27250@deadbeast.net>

G. Branden Robinson                |      A fundamentalist is someone who
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      hates sin more than he loves
branden@debian.org                 |      virtue.
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |      -- John H. Schaar